Frequently Asked Questions
What is a think tank?
A think tank is an organization, institute, corporation, group, or individual that conducts research and engages in advocacy in areas such as social policy, political strategy, economy, science or technology issues, industrial or business policies, or military advice
- Most think-tanks are non profit organizations that have funding from businesses, interest groups, government departments or individuals. Several think tanks also derive income from consultancy or research work in their particular area
- Barring a few exceptions, think-tanks are generally organized on the basis of a particular interest group or mandate.
- Put simply –A think-tank’s functioning is a 3 step process:
- Conduct in-depth research into a particular/issue or cause, preferably coming up with some new ideas
- Create specific policy recommendations regarding the issue based on it’s in-depth research, to Government, Business, Trade associations, Unions etc.
- Finally, a think-tank will attempt to influence a specific policy outcome through its generation of ideas and research
What is the difference between a think-tank and a lobbying organization?
A think-tank is different from a lobbying organization, in its mandate. Unlike that of a think-tank, a lobbying organization’s mandate is to influence a policy outcome for a particular interest group. A think-tank’s mandate is merely to create innovative policies and hope to influence the policy outcome
What is Gateway House: Indian Council on Global Relations? When and why was it formed?
Gateway House: Indian Council on Global Relations is an independent, non-partisan, membership-based think-tank based on intellectual scholarship. Founded in 2009, Gateway House takes no institutional positions on matters of policy. Gateway House was established to engage India’s leading corporations and individuals in debate and scholarship on India’s foreign policy and its role in global affairs
What is the mission of Gateway House: Indian Council on Global Relations?
- To be an independent, non-partisan, membership-based organization based on intellectual scholarship.
- To raise awareness about foreign policy among Indians
- To engage Indian business and opinion leaders in dialogue on foreign policy issues
- To produce and disseminate ideas and reports that stimulate the public debate on the foreign policy choices that face India
- To have a diverse, select membership genuinely interested in foreign policy
- To groom the next generation of foreign policy leaders from India
How does Gateway House: Indian Council on Global Relations execute its mission?
A comprehensive website (www.gatewayhouse.in) is the primary outreach of the institute, and contain local and global writing on India’s foreign policy
Meetings, a forum through which members, global leaders, prominent thinkers, corporations, diplomats, scholars and state administrators can debate India’s foreign policy
The Studies programme is at the heart of the institute’s scholarship, with original research by global and local scholars
What is the mission of www.gatewayhouse.in ?
www.gatewayhouse.in seeks to raise the level of foreign policy awareness by offering timely, unbiased, and in-depth coverage of foreign policy and international affairs to anyone interested.
How is Gateway House managed?
Gateway House is a registered not-for-profit entity. Its Founder members and Board of Directors provide overall direction, the Co-founders execute the vision and the Chief Executive Officer leads daily operations.
In March 2011, Gateway House: Indian Council on Global Relations was certified under section 80-G of the Income Tax Act, granting the institution tax-exempt status. Click here to see a copy of our original certificate. Gateway House’s unique id on NGO darpan is MH/2018/0207279
Who is Gateway House affiliated with?
Gateway House is affiliated with a number of corporations, thinktanks and invidividuals in India and around the world. Gateway House is not affiliated with any government or government agency.
How can I get involved with Gateway House?
If you would like to get involved with Gateway House in any way, please contact our offices at mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or +91-22-2202 3371